Located near Cheapside, Texas. To reach Bellevue Cemetery from Gonzales take U.S. #183, South, about 12 miles to Intersection where there is a sign "Cheapside Road". This is F.M.#2069 and turns right(west) off US #183. It is a great road with much land to see. Go about 6-8 miles and at the village of Cheapside, go left off of this highway. The cemetery is about 1 1/2 miles over the Gonzales County line into DeWitt County. It is a very well kept cemetery. As late as 2002, the roads are very well maintained. The area around is ranch land. There are no places to stop.The Cheapside Baptist Church was organized in 1893. Bellevue Cemetery, two miles south, was established in 1876 and continues to serve the people of the rural community under the management of the Bellevue Cemetery Association. Its 325 marked graves hold the remains of veterans of every declared American war from the Civil War to the present. Bellevue Cemetery
Within this beautiful cemetery lies GILBERT family members. There are two different plots designated for them.This GILBERT family has strong ties to DeWitt County. As early as 1838, the LOCKHARTS were part of the original settlers. Ancestor, JASPER L. GILBERT married Sarah Elvira LOCKHART. They settled in DeWitt County. Both GILBERT PLOTS are descendants of Jasper and Sarah's second son, Bartley S. GILBERT.
GILBERT PLOT 1 contains Louis Jasper GILBERT and Wife, Martha. Louis was born October 8, 1869, DeWitt County, Texas;died June 20,1925.GILBERT PLOT 1 1910 census, Live Oak County, Texas showed that Lewis GILBERT, age 42 years was living in this county with his wife Bessie.