DeWitt County, Texas

Part of  the TXGenWeb Project
DeWitt County was created 1846 with Cameron as seat of government. In 1850 Clinton became seat, and served until 1876 when the two story frame courthouse was moved to Cuero. That building burned in April 1894. Present structure was built between June 1894 and May 1896 under supervision of architects A.O. Watson and Eugene Heiner. Interior was renovated in 1957, but exterior remains unchanged. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
Resources
Military
Regiment-Texas Mounted Volunteers
(Cavalry) was part of General Sibley's
Confederate Army involved in New Mexico
Campaign. Company B, DeWitt County
People
Places
Victoria Regional History Center
Cemeteries
Archives for Texas
Obituaries
,
Photographs
Newspapers
Church & Funeral Records
Search DeWitt County
Burial Records - Lookups Carla
Yoakum Afro-American Funeral Records

Suggestions? Comments? Trouble with links? Have something to add about the history and genealogy of DeWitt County?  E-mail Jane Colmenares, DeWitt County Coordinator

Visit DeWitt's Neighbor Counties


Copyright 2016 - present
This page may be linked to but not reproduced in any form.
You're our 2737th visitor.  Last update: April 7, 2019